The other day I was updating one of my websites. I was needed to block out a certain IP range at the website level so I decided to use a quick .htaccess rule to do so. So I fired up Filezilla to download my current .htaccess I had in place and to my surprise there was nothing there. I knew for a fact I DID already have a .htaccess file.
I tried a few things and came down to the conclusion that it was vsftpd messing with me. So I found this command that made it the .htaccess show up under the contents:
Add this command to your /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf then execute a /etc/init.d/vsftpd restart and you should be ready to go.
Simple as that!